It is an online short movie making tool which could be used by the teachers and students to create animated movie scenes by using colouful cartoon style and characters. The dialogue for the scene will appear in bubbles.
AGE AND LEVEL OF LEARNERS
# Age - Twelve and above (as long as students know how to use computer)
# Level of students - All levels include lower, intermediate and advanced (It depends on how the teacher use this tool for teaching. If the task provided is too easy, the advanced students might feel bored).
HOW TO CREATE A MOVIE
Well it is quite easy to use it. This is the movie maker web page: Dvolver Moviemaker
|Picture 1: Dvolver Moviemaker page|
Few steps to do the Dvolver Movie Maker are:
# Select the background and sky
# Select the plot
# Choose the character(s)
# Type in the characters line. The limit is three speech bubbles per-character perscene
# Choose background music
# Finally, you can choose to add new scene or finish and preview your mini movie!
# For full tutorial of using Dvolver, you can click on this link: Dvolver Moviemaker Tutorial
EXAMPLE OF FILM MADE USING DVOLVER
SUGGESTION OF ACTIVITIES
- The teacher could use this tool for post-reading activity which is writing a summary for a reading text. After the while-reading activity, the teacher asks the students to summarise the article and use Dvolver to present their summary. The teacher could explain to the students that they make the summary in a conversation form using Dvolver. Then, once they have finished, they they will engage in pair work. In pairs, they would need to have a look at each others' work and see whether they have the same points or not and discuss the points that they have.
- The teacher could also use Dvolver for teaching grammar form such as modal verbs (example of modal verbs are: could, would, shall, may must). The teacher herself make a movie and include the modal verbs form in it. Then, the teacher present it to the class and at the same time, the teacher explain about that grammar form. The students can do the traditional practises such as drilling or filling the gaps activity. Then, as the homework, the students could be asked to use Dvolver Movie Maker and make their own cartoon animation and they need to include about the modal verbs that they have learnt.
- Could also make a fun competition among students where the teacher divide the students in pairs or groups of three. The teacher gives few topics (such as weather, food, subject that they learn, holiday, etc) and the students can choose the topic based on their preference. Then, students make their own movie based on the topic that they have chosen and present it in front of the class. All the students in the class will become the judges. The teacher will prepare an evaluation form which includes criteria of what a good movie should have (for example - it should link to the topic that they have chosen) and the students need to rank it.
*Using Dvolver could be an alternative way for a fun language learning. In learning grammar, the students does not need to engage in drilling or memorising anymore. They can learn the grammatical form by constructing the form in a fun way which is by using cartoon animation*
*It is highly recommended for students who are more into visual intelligence. Those students could maximise their potential for learning.*
*In addition, this tool also could leads to collaborative learning. This is because, some of the activities that I have suggested would need the students to work in groups and have some discussion.*
WHY USE IT
- It is an easy way to do the digital story telling in the classroom.
- It is user friendly. The users just need to click on the option given and follow the steps and finally, the movie is done!
- It is free and users do not have to create an account or sign up.
- Variety for learning in the classroom. Instead of watching a movie or using whiteboard, the students get the chance to do something different which is creating a mini movie.
- Students can express their creativity. They can do they movie based on what they want as long as they can fulfill the requirement of the task given by the teacher.
- Would be an advantage for the students who have visual intelligence - the teacher can cover this type of intelligence during the lesson - can engage those students and vary the teaching style.
- Th students can save their time. It will just take few minutes to do a simple movie.
- The students are given various options with regards to setting, characters and background music. In addition, they can also choose on how the characters interact in the movie.
- Students can freely write whatever dialogue that they want. They are given total freedom.
- When they finished the movie, they can e-mail it to their friends to share or post it to their website or blog.
- It would be fun and entertaining for the students normally, children like animation and cartoon.
- Some of the characters are not suitable to be used by the students. For example, the character of Hottie whom a bit sexy.
- As the students can freely write what they want, thus they might have the tendency to write inappropriate words.
- The end product is just the moving characters whom communicate through text inside speech bubbles. Thus, people cannot hear the characters speak.
- The skills need to create the movie is minimal in which it only involves choosing the scene, choosing the characters and writing the text. The students who are advanced in technology might find this a bit boring and not exciting.
- There are limited numbers of maximum characters which can be chosen - only two.
- There are limited plots to write - The students can only do three scenes in the movie. .
- The characters navigation are limited - the movie has fixed the way the characters move. Therefore, the users cannot navigate the characters in any way they choose. In addition, the characters' non-verbal communication will also be limited.
- Once the movie is published, it cannot be edited anymore. As the consequence, if the students want to improvise their mini movie, they would need to make a new one.